Marriage Licenses must be obtained in a town where at least one (1) of the applicants reside. If neither applicant is a resident of Maine, a license may be obtained from any town office.
Requirements: There are a few steps that must be followed prior to the Clerk issuing a license.
- Intentions of Marriage must be filled out by each applicant
- Original signatures MUST be on the marriage license
- If applicable, the Clerk must see the original divorce decree (with raised seal) or a certified copy of a death certificate.
Filing Fees: Prior to the Clerk issuing the license, a filing fee of $40 must be collected.
- A marriage license is valid for 90 days after being issued. The officiant (person performing ceremony) has 7 business days to file the license with the Clerk who issued the license.
- To obtain a certified copy, an authorization to release a vital record needs to be filled out and notarized.
- Certified copies are $15 for the first copy and $6 each additional copy if requested the same day.
- For questions you may call the Clerk @ 667-5912